
I would like to start by offering my apologizes for the time it has taken me to compose this first entry. I really should have gotten this out a while ago, but it has been difficult to find a good chunk of time to compose my thoughts. I've been in China for approximately one month now and there have been few moments of down time. To sum up my experiences in China in a few sentences thus far: take everything you'veever known or taken for granted in life, eating, drinking, speaking, showering, reading, personal space, walking around, etc. and abandon everything you've ever learned. That would be a good place to begin.
That is what China has been, a back to basics, learning experience. I'll start by going all the way back to the beginning. I left my house before the sun came up on September 22, 2007. It was a bizarre
feeling to think I wouldn't see this place for a full year. We had just begun some pretty serious renovations on our home, and it seemed strangethat I would return to a seemingly different place entirely! We left the country around 1:00 that afternoon bound for Beijing. The flight was surprisingly enjoyable, and relaxed and lasted around 13 hours. We actually took a route I hadn't expected. We ended up flying over Greenland and the North Pole! We were lucky enough to have a fairly empty flight so most of our group got to stretch out over 3 seats! I am here with 6 other people, and I have to say I couldn't have asked for a better group. There are 3 guys, including myself, and 4 girls. Mike and Ian have already become like brothers tome as we currently share an apartment together. The girls, Caitlin, Julianne, Kim, and Sheila are also 4 amazing people. Everyone is extremely out going and always up for a new adventure. We're all very similar people, but unique in our own ways. I suppose we would have to be to all pac
k up and go to China for a year!
feeling to think I wouldn't see this place for a full year. We had just begun some pretty serious renovations on our home, and it seemed strangethat I would return to a seemingly different place entirely! We left the country around 1:00 that afternoon bound for Beijing. The flight was surprisingly enjoyable, and relaxed and lasted around 13 hours. We actually took a route I hadn't expected. We ended up flying over Greenland and the North Pole! We were lucky enough to have a fairly empty flight so most of our group got to stretch out over 3 seats! I am here with 6 other people, and I have to say I couldn't have asked for a better group. There are 3 guys, including myself, and 4 girls. Mike and Ian have already become like brothers tome as we currently share an apartment together. The girls, Caitlin, Julianne, Kim, and Sheila are also 4 amazing people. Everyone is extremely out going and always up for a new adventure. We're all very similar people, but unique in our own ways. I suppose we would have to be to all pac
k up and go to China for a year!Arriving in the Beijing Airport was quite the welcome to China. We were greeted by 4 of the English teachers at Tongliao #1 Middle School (the school I currently work at). One of my better friends I have made
here was one of the 4 that picked us up. His name is David (Gaowai), and he has made me realizehow much we truly take for granted at home. David is the son of peasant farmers in Inner Mongolia's capital Honhot. He worked hard all his life and attended a university for teaching to gain an"exclusive" position teaching at our school. He shares a room, smaller than theone I had my freshman year of college with 2 other roommates who are also teachers here. David works around 12 hours every day and makes probably 1/3 of what I make. Our apartment by comparison is a mansion. The Chinese teachers don't even have a shower. They have to go to the city whenever they wish to take a a shower at a local bathhouse. As non-luxurious as this life might seem, its far better than wading knee deep in rice patties in his hometown everyday. David is 24. David also might be one o
f the nicest and most appreciative people I have ever met in my entire life. The way his eyes light up whenever we ask him to play basketball or go into the city for dinner makes being here an honor.
here was one of the 4 that picked us up. His name is David (Gaowai), and he has made me realizehow much we truly take for granted at home. David is the son of peasant farmers in Inner Mongolia's capital Honhot. He worked hard all his life and attended a university for teaching to gain an"exclusive" position teaching at our school. He shares a room, smaller than theone I had my freshman year of college with 2 other roommates who are also teachers here. David works around 12 hours every day and makes probably 1/3 of what I make. Our apartment by comparison is a mansion. The Chinese teachers don't even have a shower. They have to go to the city whenever they wish to take a a shower at a local bathhouse. As non-luxurious as this life might seem, its far better than wading knee deep in rice patties in his hometown everyday. David is 24. David also might be one o
f the nicest and most appreciative people I have ever met in my entire life. The way his eyes light up whenever we ask him to play basketball or go into the city for dinner makes being here an honor. After arriving in Beijing, we loaded our bags and had them shipped off to Tongliao and spent the remainder of the day touring Beijing. Seeing as though we had just spent 13 hours traveling, we basically scratched the surface of the city that day. Beijing will likely be a city we frequent a lot, considering it is a "short" distance fromTongliao.
That night proved to be one of the best night's sleep I had had in months, even though the bed was comparable to a dining roomtable in terms of comfort. The next morning I arose, a bit disheveled and confused, wondering where I was. It only took amoment to realize I was here. I'd made it. After months of anticipation, I was in China. As if we hadn't spent enough time traveling, that night we boarded thetrain to Tongliao. In China there are four options when taking thetrain. 1) Hard sitter 2) Soft sitter 3) Hard sleeper and 4) Softsleeper. For anything over 8 hours it is recommended that you
take the hard sleeper. A few weeks ago we took a hard sitter to Shenyang (5hours away) and by the end of that trip we were all sore and exhausted. We boarded that train around 7:30 that night, packed awaylike sardines, in 3 bunked beds, and arrived in Tongliao around 6:30the next morning. I slept very little that night, still overwhelmed by the fact I was traveling through the countryside of China, packed intoa sleeper car next to a snoring Chinese man who wreaked of rotteneggs.
That night proved to be one of the best night's sleep I had had in months, even though the bed was comparable to a dining roomtable in terms of comfort. The next morning I arose, a bit disheveled and confused, wondering where I was. It only took amoment to realize I was here. I'd made it. After months of anticipation, I was in China. As if we hadn't spent enough time traveling, that night we boarded thetrain to Tongliao. In China there are four options when taking thetrain. 1) Hard sitter 2) Soft sitter 3) Hard sleeper and 4) Softsleeper. For anything over 8 hours it is recommended that you
take the hard sleeper. A few weeks ago we took a hard sitter to Shenyang (5hours away) and by the end of that trip we were all sore and exhausted. We boarded that train around 7:30 that night, packed awaylike sardines, in 3 bunked beds, and arrived in Tongliao around 6:30the next morning. I slept very little that night, still overwhelmed by the fact I was traveling through the countryside of China, packed intoa sleeper car next to a snoring Chinese man who wreaked of rotteneggs. Arriving in Tongliao, was something I don't think any of us were readyfor. We had all been told that we would be stared at a lot. This couldn't begin to describe what we were in store for. From the momentwe got here until right as I am writing this email, we have all felt like some kind of celebrity in Tongliao. Everywhere we go we are waved at, crowds form, and people turn to stare and gawk. We even had an incident where we stopped traffic and people were taking pictures of us in a busy int
ersection. People constantly yell "Halllllllllloww"and we here whispers of the word "laowai" (foreigner). To date I haven't seen any other white people in the entire city and I truly believe we might be the only westerners in the entire city. It is a very humbling experience and one I don't think I'll ever get used to. Tongliao is an amazing city. It is not at all what I was expecting. It is far larger than Providence in terms of population. It is extremely colorful, and vibrant.
There are constantly people walking everywhere, rickshaws ready to take you to any destination you desire. There are tons of shops, restaurants, markets, and every other retail opportunity you might want. It is very strange though how the city is organized. If you want a cell phone, you must go to a street that is devoted to cell phone stores. If you want to eat, you go to where the restaurants are located. Everything is grouped and classified together. It makes me wonder how in the world some of these placesstay in business when they are grouped together with 50 other of theexact same store. Bartering here is the norm and we have all become very adept at arguing prices down a hundred yuan or so, some of us more so than others! I'd like to take a second here and comment on the traffic in the city. If you can picture the mass chaos of New York City traffic at rush hour on a Friday, multiply that by a thousand here. There are very few traffic lights or stop signs even at major intersections. There are people on bikes EVERYWHERE, as that is main form of transportation. Combine that with rickshaws, city buses, and people w
alking everywhere and you might have so idea what it is like to get around Tonglaio. A taxi ride is an adventure to say the least and it's probably best to make your peace with god before entering one. It's pretty typical to go down thewrong way of a highway, and blinkers? i don't think they even havethem. And honking...oh honking. Honking basically says "I'm coming so you better move!" You honk at every car you pass, when passing, when not passing, at someone walking, at someone bicycling, or even wherethere is no one anywhere near you. At first this was unbelievably annyoing, but I have begun not even to hear it. Last week we actually saw a man on a bike crossing an intersection hit by a taxi. Apparently, the taxi driver beeped, but the man didn't move. As you might expect, the man was killed. That was without a doubt on of the scariest things I've witnessed in 23 years of my life. No need to worry though, as long as you pay attention and are alert you are fine. Even with all this maddess, the accident rate here is very low.
ersection. People constantly yell "Halllllllllloww"and we here whispers of the word "laowai" (foreigner). To date I haven't seen any other white people in the entire city and I truly believe we might be the only westerners in the entire city. It is a very humbling experience and one I don't think I'll ever get used to. Tongliao is an amazing city. It is not at all what I was expecting. It is far larger than Providence in terms of population. It is extremely colorful, and vibrant.
There are constantly people walking everywhere, rickshaws ready to take you to any destination you desire. There are tons of shops, restaurants, markets, and every other retail opportunity you might want. It is very strange though how the city is organized. If you want a cell phone, you must go to a street that is devoted to cell phone stores. If you want to eat, you go to where the restaurants are located. Everything is grouped and classified together. It makes me wonder how in the world some of these placesstay in business when they are grouped together with 50 other of theexact same store. Bartering here is the norm and we have all become very adept at arguing prices down a hundred yuan or so, some of us more so than others! I'd like to take a second here and comment on the traffic in the city. If you can picture the mass chaos of New York City traffic at rush hour on a Friday, multiply that by a thousand here. There are very few traffic lights or stop signs even at major intersections. There are people on bikes EVERYWHERE, as that is main form of transportation. Combine that with rickshaws, city buses, and people w
alking everywhere and you might have so idea what it is like to get around Tonglaio. A taxi ride is an adventure to say the least and it's probably best to make your peace with god before entering one. It's pretty typical to go down thewrong way of a highway, and blinkers? i don't think they even havethem. And honking...oh honking. Honking basically says "I'm coming so you better move!" You honk at every car you pass, when passing, when not passing, at someone walking, at someone bicycling, or even wherethere is no one anywhere near you. At first this was unbelievably annyoing, but I have begun not even to hear it. Last week we actually saw a man on a bike crossing an intersection hit by a taxi. Apparently, the taxi driver beeped, but the man didn't move. As you might expect, the man was killed. That was without a doubt on of the scariest things I've witnessed in 23 years of my life. No need to worry though, as long as you pay attention and are alert you are fine. Even with all this maddess, the accident rate here is very low.
We currently live on the campus of #1 Middle School in the teacher apartments. The center of the campus is above and it is absolutely gorgeous. It's nicer than many college campuses thatI've seen. Our apartments are beautiful, comparably speaking. We each have ou
r own good sized rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living area. Hot water is a rare commodity here, so cold showers are thenorm. Showering once every three days is also fairly typical. Ourbuilding is solar powered, so the only chance of a slightly warm shower is around 5:00 right before the sun goes
down. If I was bummed about there being no hot showers, the food here definitely makes up for it. We go out to dinner pretty much every single night. And why not? The food here is by far the best food I've ever had in my life and it is dirt cheap. A typical meal that we might have for dinner would include, duck, chicken, beef, mutton, fis
h, vegetables galore, potatoes, noodles, rice, tea as well as many other delicious foods. Dinner is had a round a massive round table with a lazy Susan. There are no personal portions; everyone simply takes from the massive plates that fill the table. It seems like a much betterway of eating in my opinion. Also, I have mastered the chop sticks! A typical meal here would likely cost around $150 dollars or so in America. Here meals hardly ever exceeds 20 American dollars.
r own good sized rooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and a living area. Hot water is a rare commodity here, so cold showers are thenorm. Showering once every three days is also fairly typical. Ourbuilding is solar powered, so the only chance of a slightly warm shower is around 5:00 right before the sun goes
down. If I was bummed about there being no hot showers, the food here definitely makes up for it. We go out to dinner pretty much every single night. And why not? The food here is by far the best food I've ever had in my life and it is dirt cheap. A typical meal that we might have for dinner would include, duck, chicken, beef, mutton, fis
h, vegetables galore, potatoes, noodles, rice, tea as well as many other delicious foods. Dinner is had a round a massive round table with a lazy Susan. There are no personal portions; everyone simply takes from the massive plates that fill the table. It seems like a much betterway of eating in my opinion. Also, I have mastered the chop sticks! A typical meal here would likely cost around $150 dollars or so in America. Here meals hardly ever exceeds 20 American dollars.We have been teaching now for around 3 weeks. I was assigned the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd graders in the Primary School. There are 6 first grade classes, two second, and two third.
I see each classes 2 times a week for around an hour. A typical class has around 50 students in it. Yup, thats right I have hundreds of students!
My job assignment is without a doubt bitter sweet. At this age the kids are soooo energetic, excited, and cute! They also, however, hardly speak any English at all. Combine that with the fact that my Chinese is currently sparse and broken to say the least, class is typically amassive game of charades. The first few days or so, I left class exhausted, overwhelmed and questioning how I would ever make it through the next year. Things have improved dramatically, as I actually look forward to class now. My co-workers are amazing and so eager to be friends and master their English. Below is a photo of all of the primary school teachers out to dinner one night. I clearly supply the testostorone to the group.
I see each classes 2 times a week for around an hour. A typical class has around 50 students in it. Yup, thats right I have hundreds of students!
My job assignment is without a doubt bitter sweet. At this age the kids are soooo energetic, excited, and cute! They also, however, hardly speak any English at all. Combine that with the fact that my Chinese is currently sparse and broken to say the least, class is typically amassive game of charades. The first few days or so, I left class exhausted, overwhelmed and questioning how I would ever make it through the next year. Things have improved dramatically, as I actually look forward to class now. My co-workers are amazing and so eager to be friends and master their English. Below is a photo of all of the primary school teachers out to dinner one night. I clearly supply the testostorone to the group.
As I leave my office and walk down the hall, nearly every student I see says "Hallo techa!" and waves and when I get to my classroom the kids erupt in cheers and excited screams! Again, it is truly humbling and an experience I don't think I will ever forget. Over the last three weeks, I have assigned English names, completed units on animals, body parts, the weather, and emotions. The kids seem to be retaining what I teach, and oddly enough they have taught me a great deal of Chinese too. At their age, they see the world in much simpler terms that adults and that makes learning Chinese much easier. I'm going to end this first entry here as it has already gotten way too long. I'll update soon with other things we have been doing. There is just so much to say! I miss everyone very much and I hope everything at home is well. Until later.... Zaijian!

1 comment:
``Thats fine, Mrs. Sheteased, and with her spare hand began to caress my breasts again.
hot forced sex stories
free gay black sex stories
free beastiality stories
girls only punishment spanking stories only
sexy student teacher stories
``Thats fine, Mrs. Sheteased, and with her spare hand began to caress my breasts again.
Post a Comment